As promised, here is the first of the free patterns I am offering to help spruce up your home for the holidays. Just imagine you have guests over, and everyone has a wine glass, but keeping track of those glasses and running around with coasters for every flat surface is a problem. The wine cozy is an attractive and fun way solution to both situations. You’ll want to make it in a variety of colors and fabric patterns – to help guests identify their own drink. The best part? You probably have enough different fabrics in your stash to make dozens of these!
Materials – note: these instructions are to make ONE cozy
- 5″ strip of cotton print or solid fabric – or 1 fat quarter
- 4″ square of thin cotton batting
- (beyond standard sewing supplies)
- Circle Cutter (I used the OLFA cutter)
- Self Healing Mat
Project Level: Beginner
Cut fabric as follows:
- Cotton Print: cut 4 circles with a 4″ diameter
- Cotton Batting: cut 1 circles with a 3½” diameter
- Sandwich the batting circle between two of the fabric circles with right sides facing out on fabric circles (so bottom fabric is right side down, then batting, then top fabric with right side up).
- Take remaining two circles and fold in half, ironing the fold sharply.
- Lay folded circles on top of the sandwich, with the folded edges touching so the two half circles (folded circles) make a whole circle on top of the fabric sandwich. This area with the fold is where the foot of the wine glass will insert.
- Pin all layers together, making sure you catch each of the folded pieces separately.
- Stitch around the sandwich, catching all layers of the fabric (bottom piece, batting, top piece and each of the folded pieces) into a ¼” seam.
- Clip the selvage, allowing you to more easily turn the circle out.
- Using the opening at center of the circle (folds) turning it right side out. Iron cozy flat.
- To use, insert the base of your wine goblet. Create a variety of cozys out of different fabrics – now everyone will know which glass is theirs.
Here is a downloadable PDF version of this pattern: Wine Cozy Pattern
Sheila Reinke, Heart of Sewing